Yoga and olive harvest retreat to Greece
7 november, 2019 @ 7:00 pm - 12 november, 2019 @ 7:00 am| 5400DKK
The setting for our retreat 2019 is Kalamata. Kalamata is situated on the southern point of the Pelopnese at the foot of the magnificent Taygetos mountain range and on the stunning coastline of the Messinian bay with its numerous blue flag beaches. A diverse city that is world famous for its Kalamata olives, the Kalamatianos dance and as the starting point of the Greek uprising for independence 1821.
It is a city filled with culture, tradition and history and one of outstanding natural beauty. Kalamata has a cosmopolitan café scene, a large central square offering a wide range of shopping and many possibilities to pamper yourself with the various spa and massage treatments available.
Despite the current economic climate in Greece, Kalamata has benefited from the agricultural sector in this region. As you will see in the landscape the cultivation and production of olive oil in this area is very important. Everywhere your eyes take you, you will see olive trees! Greece is the third largest producer of olive oil worldwide, and 35% of this oil is produced in the Kalamata region. The olive oil produced here is of a superior quality, the majority being rewarded either POP or Extra Virgin status, as a result of the quality of the soil and favorable weather conditions.
Location – See Google Map here
When: 7th-12th November 2019
We offer to you included in the retreat:
- Two yoga classes a day, one in the morning, one in the evening for all levels. (Bikram, Vinyasa or Yin)
- Olive harvest: We will take you to Kostis olive grove for a day harvesting olives. During this day we will explain to you the techniques to harvest the olives, with methods that have been handed down from generation to generation you will have the opportunity to participate with us to harvest the olives that we will take to the olive press the following day. At the olive press you will be able to follow the journey of the olives you have harvested through the press and see it turn into olive oil. Here we will present you with 2 liters of freshly produced olive oil, that you helped to make, to take home with you – do not forget to leave space in your suitcase.
- Accommodation: You will stay in a luxury villa in the coastal area of Vergas. Shared room (each with two single beds)
- Catering: Meals are provided for including lunch packages for excursion. One evening we will arrange dinner in a local traditional tavern.
One dinner and one lunch not included
Excursions: (Your own choice)
- Polylimnio Waterfalls, a trip to the breathtaking waterfalls where you can hike through the lush flora up a series of small pools until you reach the large main pool.
- Ancient Messini, a short drive into the mountains you reach the relatively unheard of, however, a significantly important and pristinely excavated archaeological site.
- Hiking in the Taygetos, there are many ancient walkways into the mountains that are preserved by the Kalamata Mountaineering society. We can undertake the walk that both suits your fitness levels and what you want to see.
When you arrive a welcome drink will be waiting for you. On the last day we have early breakfast together before leaving
What is not included:
- Flight tickets, back and forth
- Transportation from the airport in Athens to Kalamata , it can either be by bus or taxis the cost will be around 55 euros (one way per person) and we can arrange that for you. In our last retreat 2018 the group rented 2 cars /shared expenses which is what we strongly recommend since is much cheaper and you will have the freedom to drive around and explore. For that we make a Facebook group and arrange all in there.
- Note that there in not medical insurance included so bring with you your international medical blue card just in case.
- 1 Lunch and 1 dinner
- Yoga Mat
Cancellations later than September 1 2019: deposit cannot be refunded.
Please feel free to contact us for more details: firstname.lastname@example.org